Pages

Tuesday 18 January 2011

sushi - Shira Nui

It was a warm summer night, and I was hungry. I had no craving for KFC, pizza, or one of the other cheap Chinese places around the corner. Just as my dad and I were about to give up our search for somewhere good, we saw the "Now Open" sign on the new restaurant. It was small, and nestled between a real estate agent and other small shops, you wouldn't expect to find a restaurant there. But it was brand new, and glancing in the window and spying the simple, minimalist decor, it seemed more than your standard, run-of-the-mill take away restaurant. Interests piqued, we stepped inside, and have not looked back ever since.



Hard to believe that that night was eight years ago. But once you've tried their sushi at Shira Nui, it's not hard to believe that I still remember that night so vividly, or why the tiny restaurant has still managed to stay around and be successful.


You wouldn't expect much from it's far-from-prime location of Glen Waverley, but let me tell you; it is good. So good, in fact, it's almost become clichéd to write a glowing review or blog post of the restaurant's omakase. Just google it and you'll find page upon page of posts gushing about Hiro Nishikura and the fresh sushi he dispenses.

It's always entertaining sitting at the counter and watching Hiro go about his work. He wields his trusty knife like an expert swordsman; watching him effortlessly twirl his blade and wiping it clean after each cut of fish, I always expect catch a glimpse of a sword sheath concealed on his hip. I can't help but be mesmerised by his clean, precise cuts and the speed he works, all the while seemingly oblivious to the hushed audience of restaurant goers. It's a pleasant change from some of the chefs at flashy teppanyaki restaurants who toss salt & pepper shakers and make a big racket with their utensils in an attempt to impress the customers.



And the food - where do I start? If I was a more poetic type, I could see myself writing an ode to Shira Nui's sushi. Perfectly seasoned, slightly warm rice, fresh cuts of fish, often coupled with crispy nori. The standard fare is here - salmon, tuna, and handrolls, but the best stuff is without a doubt saved for the omakase menu. Marinated kingfish belly, grilled oyster topped with a creamy Japanese mayonnaise-based sauce, and rare yakiniku beef sushi are all unbelievable, but the standout for me has to be the saba. Pieces of mackerel are topped with spring onions and wrapped in sweet, translucent konbu seaweed. The sweetness and firm bite of the seaweed perfectly complement the tender, savoury flesh of the mackerel. It's almost a shame that there are too many types of sushi to eat here, as I only manage to fit in one round of these each visit.


Sure, it's definitely not the cheapest meal I've had (although, not the most expensive I've had either), but I'm always glad I did save after each meal there, and immediately start planning for my next visit. Each time I go there and taste their sushi, it takes me back to the time eight years ago when I first visited and realised how much I love Japanese food. Let's hope it's still there in another eight years.

Shira Nui
247 Springvale Rd
Glen Waverley

No comments:

Post a Comment