Pages

Thursday 6 January 2011

on my plate - norwegian eggs benedict

I have a love/hate relationship with breakfast. Under everyday circumstances, I loathe it. Maybe because it’s part of the whole ‘get up early, get ready for work’ scenario (from which I’m currently blissfully detached). Usually, breakfast is just something I stuff in my mouth so I’m not starving by the time I get to school or work, and can remain cognisant until lunchtime. Cereal tends to work best for this purpose: easy to prepare, easy to shovel into mouth, easy to clean up (or abandon in the sink).

But occasionally, when life is particularly good, I adore breakfast. This tends to be during holiday periods, such as now. It’s times like these when breakfast becomes brunch, and acquires a more glamorous identity. For me, breakfast is the ugly stepsister to brunch’s Cinderella. In her ball gown. If you know what I mean.

Anyway. Earlier this week I spent a few days holidaying at a friend’s place on the Mornington Peninsula. One morning, we joined the beautiful people in Sorrento for brunch, picking Sunny Side Up Café as the site of our gluttony. In my experience, anything involving hollandaise sauce is usually a winner, so I settled on the Norwegian Eggs Benedict: lightly buttered English muffin topped with slices of smoked Tasmanian Atlantic salmon and poached eggs, drizzled with the mighty hollandaise. It tasted at least twice as good as it looks.



I’m tempted to try making Norwegian Eggs Benedict at home, but something tells me that’ll just shatter my brunch illusions. I have hazy memories of once attempting to poach an egg, which ended up as a cloudy, watery mess in a pot. Maybe preparing brunch is best left to the experts. Especially when part of the point of brunch is to wallow in your privileged laziness.

Sunny Side Up Café
3297 Nepean Hwy
Sorrento

1 comment:

  1. Hollandaise is definitely the bacon of sauces - you add it to pretty much anything and it'll make it taste better. Kudos on your great first posting!

    ReplyDelete