Pages

Saturday 29 January 2011

on my plate - hiyashi chuka @ ramen-ya



"Really? Ramen-ya again after a second trip to Earl Canteen?" What can I say? I'm a creature of habit. Especially when it comes quality cheap food.

While steaming hot bowls of ramen remind me of dark, cold, dimly lit alleyways in Tokyo, hiyashi chuuka (lit. chilled Chinese food) takes me back to humid summer nights in the middle of the country with constant buzz of cicadas filling the air.

Noodles topped with slices of omelette, ham, cucumber and tomato, topped with crispy nori seaweed, and served with just a touch of soy-based broth. While it lacked the Japanese mayonnaise and mustard I'm familiar with, it was still a welcome change on a fairly warm day. It almost makes me miss the muggy August nights in Japan, stepping outside for just a moment and almost immediately being drenched in sweat. Well, almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment