Pages

Thursday 24 November 2011

on my plate: akamaru tonkotsu ramen @ Ippudo, Osaka

While waiting in line at Ippudo in Osaka, my friend confronted me with a Sophie's choice dilemma last night: If I had to get rid of one food from my life, would I choose ramen or souvlaki?

Assuming that no more souvlaki in my life also meant none of its cousins, the schwarma or the kebab, I foolishly chose ramen. My justification at the time: There were way more noodle dishes that could maybe try and fill the void of ramen, whereas meats wrapped in flat bread with garlic sauce is a much more difficult thing to substitute for.

Hmmm, yeah, about that decision. I might have to reconsider that after waiting in line  for 20 minutes for Ippudo's akamaru ramen. I didn't think you could top tonkotsu ramen: the deliciously garlicky and creamy broth made from pork bones is unsurpassable, but then again, I had never tried it with the addition of miso paste and black garlic oil. I could even dedicate another post solely to the thick tender cuts of charsiu pork and - perfectly runny egg, but that may just have to wait another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment